Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Japanese Penis Festival

I'm deep in the bowels of my next work in progress. This one is set in Japan, and although I've never been, I find a lot of the customs and traditions fascinating. For example: Did you know that every year on the first Sunday in April, in Kawasaki Japan, there is a festival called
Kanamara Matsuri (かなまら祭り "Festival of the Steel Phallus")
Oh yeah. That's right. You know...it's springtime, folks start thinking about cleaning house, planting gardens...and penises.
The festival is centered around a local penis-venerating shrine where prostitutes used to go to pray for protection against STDs. Reports are unclear as to whether praying to a penis actually works, but hey...do what feels right ladies.

Can you imagine a festival like this in the states? Can you picture your mother wearing those glasses? Seriously. Here I thought Kawasaki's claim to fame was a motorcycle. See what one learns online?

I'm pretty sure half the fun of these chocolate coated bananas is watching people eat them.

Now I know you're thinking--"But Olivia, you said it was a festival of a STEEL phallus. What does that mean?" Okay, I'll tell you, but remember...you asked!
There is a legend of a sharp-toothed demon that hid inside the vagina of a woman and gnawed off her new husband's junk on their wedding night. The woman went to a blacksmith for help (of course!) who made an iron phallus to break the demon's teeth.

Praise the iron phallus!

I don't know about you folks, but my local county fair is starting to look really lame.


I want you all to think about this while you're out hiding Easter eggs for the kiddos, and making a nice ham for dinner: This is how you could be celebrating spring, if only you lived in Kawasaki Japan.

As a side note, that blacksmith went on to become a billionaire by adding a vibration device.

Okay, I made that part up :)

So now I'm wondering if I could set my work in progressin Kawasaki. It might make for some entertaining education.

Thanks for stopping by!

~Olivia Brynn
Website
Last Call Now Available
At Ease coming 1/21/2011

19 comments:

Sally Bibrary said...

Um, wow . . . I can definitely say I learned something new today! LOL

Anonymous said...

That is one of the funniest things I've seen. I need to travel more!

Olivia said...

I think Americans are way too Victorian when it comes to our bodies and sex. I will do my best to help break that shell :)

Stephanie said...

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, definitely need to travel to Japan!! Thanks for sharing this!!

Vinnie Bartilucci said...

Sadly, I noticed the name of the festival scans to "Katamari Damacy", and a very evil version of the game's theme now rolls through my head...

Savanna Kougar said...

Olivia, I never knew! Thanks for sharing. This reminds me a bit of how much the phallus is part of the ancient Rome and Pompeii culture.... plus, other ancient cultures.

Great post!

Olivia said...

Yeah. And we have a big fuzzy bunny rabbit. There's something wrong here.

Mary Quast said...

OMG!!! I'm simply floored with this information. Wow!

J. Jordana said...

This is the GREATEST thing I've seen in a long time!!!! I hope you don't mind but I will be linking to your post on my blog! This is EPIC and needs to be shared!!!!

And I agree with you! We are FAR to Victorian in our views of sex. I am with you in breaking that shell. It's going to take some serious sledgehammers, humor, and classy bitches. I'm IN!!!

Olivia said...

Haha yes, link away! Thanks for stopping by J.

Kayelle Allen said...

I know part of this is because it's almost 3am where I am, but I sat here blinking like a virgin in a whorehouse. I had no frickin' idea this went on. So much for the inscrutable Japanese. These folks look really happy!

And ditto on the comment about the big fuzzy bunny. We were swindled!

Ern Malleyscrub said...

Men have a penis? News to me.

Scott Andrews said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott Andrews said...

Great book covers!

You have pictured a large WOOD phallus that is carved each year. People take turns riding it in the street. I believe I have seen pictures of people sitting on it as it slides down a hill, too, like riding a toboggan hard on.

The STEEL phallus is in the temple. It's not that large, really -- although I am not saying size isn't important. I have seen images of another, small, steel phallus that women straddle as a means of blessing their babymakers.

I have a post related to the Festival of the Steel Phallus and the American fear of the penis at my site: http://www.scottseesthings.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I'm speechless. This rarely happens. Your post has made my day. All hail to the giant penis of Kawasaki.

The Misses said...

I love different cultures!!!

Anonymous said...

The best films are The Empire of the senses and The Realm of passion... Look them up at "gayartz"

Anonymous said...

The best films are The Empire of the senses and The Realm of passion... Look them up at "gayartz"

Anonymous said...

The best films are The Empire of the senses and The Realm of passion... Look them up at "gayartz"