Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Man in Uniform

What is it about these guys? You take a regular Joe off the street, throw him in a uniform of any kind, and women go crazy. I'm just as guilty of drooling over a mall cop as anyone (oh come on, admit it, you've been there.) 

I'm blogging about men in uniform, since to date I've written three books about service men. The first, Position Secured is available now from Samhain Publishing. The hero is a swat team lieutenant who happens to be in the right place at the right time ;)

I have two short stories looking for a home, one featuring an Air Force ROTC Captain, and the other a firefighter.

Maybe I have a problem. As I submitted the firefighter story (More info to come on my blog) I started wondering what it was about these guys that make me automatically think *Hero Material*. I came up with a few ideas. Let me know if I'm way off base here.

First off, a man in a uniform, even a mall cop, shows that he's a) got a job, and b) is responsible

Secondly, he is usually clean (very important) But, if he's got a little dirt and sweat, we don't mind too much, right ladies? Can't protect the people without a bit of grime.

Third, a man in uniform tells us that he isn't afraid of commitment. He can commit four years of his life to serve our country, surely that says something.

Fourth, I think any man in uniform exudes a degree of confidence. Which is dead sexy. Okay, some turn a little bit cocky (I'm talking to you, Mr. Cruise) but that starts to tie in to the bad boy appeal, which is a whole 'nother post.


And then there's always the good old fashioned reason, that deep down inside we'd love to have a strong, sexy, clean, responsible, committed man to take care of us. Nothing wrong with that.

Okay, your turn. Did I miss something? Have any favorite uniforms?


5 comments:

Hailey Edwards said...

If you'd asked me this question last month, I would have said city blues. Since my hubby went back to work for the county (sheriff's office), I have to say county browns.

I do like the confidence that goes hand in hand with a uniform. There's something about snuggling up with the officer of your choice at night.

You feel safe. It's more than a hypothetical "if shit hits the fan, I can save you." These guys were trained for it. They can do it.

Does that make me a bit of a princess? Maybe. I've never had an issue with Prince Charming coming to my rescue...as long as he learns his place once we're back at the castle. ;)

Gem Sivad said...

A man in a uniform is great. Getting him out of his uniform, sounds even better. ;)

Alanna Coca said...

Heh, I like the way you think, Gem.

I think the Marines have a nice dress uniform.

Savanna Kougar said...

Hmmm... men in uniform. Tom Cruise in Top Gun would be one of my faves. But, really, I'd like a Musketeer, please. A man in a swashbuckling uniform, as it were.

Mary Quast said...

I've always loved a man in uniform. My hubby is a pilot and I love getting him out of his "monkey suit" despite how sexy he looks in it.