Monday, April 5, 2010

Let me Speak I have a Voice

“Come on it should go this way.” Voice A states.

“No I want it this way.” Voice B defends

“You better let me speak or…” Voice A warns.

“Or else what?” Voice B shoots back.

“I won’t say a word and we’ll see how far you get without me.” Voice A said with no inflection in the tone.

“Okay lets compromise.” Voice B suggests.

Voice A and B watch each other then sit down to discuss.

This is a mythical conversation between a writer (Voice B) and the characters (Voice A).

As a writer it is hard when you have vision of how a story will go then it takes a different turn because of how the characters want it to be. Characters have personalities, wants, desires, and opinions just like anyone else. I learned long ago to let them flow as they are supposed to. I learned to work together instead of against each other. This helps me create vivid real people and paranormal beings that make you want to laugh, cry, fight, and love with them. Writing takes a mix of all parts working together.

Don’t get me wrong in no way it is always roses and harmony but I’ve learned to work together. This is about getting the best story out to you the reader. In the process of creating characters that live you must keep true to the characters. Years ago this was hard for me. I had a vision I wanted but it didn’t ring true to the characters. When I realized in order to make the best book I would have to get deep inside the characters psyche I learned to listen and get their personalities so it rings true. It is a balancing act that you work on for each book to get it just where it needs to be.

Even when I read I can tell if a “voice” of the characters. I don’t know if that’s just me but I do and I enjoy novels that the characters voice is real more. Even some characters that stick with me even after the story is finished I take with me as I sleep. They pop up in my dreams. That to me is a sign of a great book. Characters that stay with you afterwards and make you wonder what is going on in their lives.

With my own characters that I have already written I don’t have to wonder. They pop up in my dreams also letting me know they are still there. When I am on a roll with a new character they won’t let me sleep or have a moment to myself.

LOL. Yeah my mind is full and I love it.

My question to you. How does the characters in any novel you have read or written speak to you?

****
Taige Crenshaw is a multi-published author with books available at Ellora's Cave Publishing, Liquid Silver Books, Loose Id, and Total-E-Bound. Taige has been enthralled with the written word from time she picked up her first book. It wasn’t long before she started to make up her own tales of romance. With novels set in today, in alternate dimensions, or in the future she writes with adventure, fun sassy heroine’s, and sexy hero’s. Always hard at work creating new and exciting places Taige can be found curled up with a hot novel with exciting characters when she is not creating her own. Join her in the fun, frolic, interesting people and far reaches of the world in her novels. You can find out more about Taige at her website: http://www.taigecrenshaw.com or blog: http://www.taigecrenshaw.com/blog.

1 comment:

Savanna Kougar said...

Taige, I can so relate. I rely on my heroines and heroes to tell me their story. Or, actually, often it plays like a movie with their voices.

Whenever I get stuck, it's often because I'm not hearing them. Oh, those surprises they deliver, sometimes!