Friday, May 11, 2012

Writer's Block





The power of pictures is undeniable. Take my recent case of writers block--please do, and don't bring it back. lol.


For days I sat in front of the laptop and...no...that's a lie.





I followed the crumpled paper trail crawling out of the office and--looking for things to do, I found dishes, laundry, dusting and grocery shopping lurking beyond the cave door--things I'd ignored for months and wanted to continue in that mode. But I simply could not justify being in front of the laptop--staring at it--completely brain dead.

So-- :) *beaming*  I went picture trolling, a delightful pastime guaranteed to make me forget about my writer's block and...

I found it.


...and I wrote:
Reluctantly, Miz unlocked the ward, watching it shimmer down allowing Thomas entry into her territory. In two leaps he was on the porch. She held the door open and the blanket waiting, ready to wrap it around his shoulders and cover his nakedness from her view. She grimaced at his forlorn appearance and stepped away from him.
I won’t be seduced senseless this time. Of course, Thomas immediately had to test that theory.
He pulled her into his embrace, wrapping her in the blanket and molding her to his wet skin at the same time his aroused cock fit snuggly against her belly.
“I’m hungry for you,” he growled against her neck as he nipped his way to her jaw and lips. Miz felt the truth of every groaned word he uttered.
“Shouldn’t a gone traipsing off to parts unknown, then, Sunny,” she drawled, trying to sound indifferent. But she tipped her head, excited by the way his lips explored the point between her shoulder and neck. 

Snippet is from Cat's Play, (working title) the second story about Miz and Thomas. Their first book, Call Me Miz, releases in one week on May 18th @ Ellora's Cave. 
C) 2012 Gem Sivad, LLC. All rights reserved 


FB  /  Twitter  /  Website

6 comments:

Linda Kage said...

Ah, the power of the picture!! Thank goodness it helped you fuse the muse! I hear pictures are why Pinterest is getting so popular. I hadn't even heard of Pinterest, so I looked it up and was instantly hooked. The power of the picture, indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Gem Sivad said...

Indeed, Linda. I've heard about Pinterest and have resisted b/c I'm already a picture whore. But...I...want... *BG*

Thanks for stopping by,

~gem

Siobhan Muir said...

Chores sometimes help me - they definitely make me feel better about the energy of my writing "space". But I also find that if I'm stuck, I need to get out and walk, with no destination, and literally tell myself the story. I talk it out and usually that gets the Muse thinking. I'm glad the picture got you going again. :)

Siobhan

Gem Sivad said...

It's crazy what jump-starts the muse. Frankly, anything that helps me is my friend. lol.

I know what you mean about walks. I'm pretty sure the critters in our woods wish I'd shut up. :)

Thanks for stopping by, Meg.

gem

Savanna Kougar said...

So glad you found the solution... yeah, pictures definitely get my muse juices going... usually my problem is that I'm so out of energy, the brain can't get cranked up... but chores often help, and walking has always helped... also driving because I get in a zone.

Also, if it's short-lived [usually] it's because the story needs to go in a different key direction.

Gem Sivad said...

I think you're right about the "short term" and "new direction." When I'm at a crossroads trying to make a decision about which way to go in a story, my muse is as stubborn as a mule. Choose wrong, and bingo, the beast won't move.

Thanks for stopping by, Savanna,

gem