Monday, March 21, 2011

Jennifer Jakes & Rafe's Redemption

Historical and tine travel romance author Jennifer Jakes joins An Open Book today to discuss her upcoming historical romance book, Rafe's Redemption, and how her writing career began. Rafe in my opinion is sexy, "have to get me some of that man- candy" kind of a guy.

RAFE'S REDEMPTION Blurb:

He rode into town to buy supplies, not a woman.
For hunted recluse Rafe McBride, the raven-haired beauty on the auction block is exactly what he doesn't need. A dependent woman will be another clue his vengeful stepbrother can use to find and kill him. But Rafe's conscience won't let him leave another innocent's virginity to the riff-raff bidding. He buys her, promising to return her to St. Louis untouched. He only prays the impending blizzard holds off before her sultry beauty breaks his willpower.
She wanted freedom, not a lover.
Whisked to the auction block by her devious, gambling cousin, and then sold into the arms of a gorgeous stranger, outspoken artist Maggie Monroe isn't about to go meekly. Especially when the rugged mountain man looks like sin and danger rolled into one. But a blizzard and temptation thrust them together, and Maggie yearns to explore her smoldering passion for Rafe.
But when the snow clears, will the danger and secrets that surround Rafe and Maggie tear them apart?


Before we get started talking about your books, tell us a little about yourself. Where are you from? What is your occupation outside of writing?

I live in the Midwest -- Missouri -- land of changing weather. Our saying is: You don't like the weather in Missouri, wait a minute.

Occupations...........well, there have been quite a few. My mom used to call me the Jack....er, Jenn of all trades. I guess I'm easily bored.

My most exciting occupation has been driving a dump truck -- and not just because of the perks (otherwise known as bare chested construction workers).

What are your favorite books to read?

Historical romance. They don't have to be erotic *grin*, but I do prefer them to be "hot". Historical westerns are my favorite, but I enjoy some Regency authors.

Aside from your successes in the writing industry, what in your life has given you the greatest sense of accomplishment?

Taking the opportunity to learn (and enjoy) the different jobs I've had. My husband taught me to drive a truckwhen we opened our business.

You write in the erotica genre. How did you decide this was the best genre fit for you?

Whenever I read "sweet" romances or even those slightly hotter, I felt there was something missing. While I love the sensual tension, the build up

of non-erotic stories, I also want the pay-off;) When I started writing, there was no other path for me to take; there was never a question in my

mind as to whether or not I would write erotic.

When you’re painting an erotic scene in your novels, how do you keep your ideas fresh and different from what everyone else writes?

That is the million dollar question;) There are so many great erotic authors and . . . there are only so many ways to do "the deed".

I think building the characters is the key. If readers feel something, feel each emotion of that character, that makes an erotic scene

stand out.

How many books have you written and how many of those are published? (Please list the names of your books here). And any exciting publishing plans for the New Year?

I started writing novellas. I think I have 4 or 6 of those. RAFE'S REDEMPTION was my first full length and my first published work. My plans for 2011 are to

take a few of those novellas and polish them for publication. I'm also working on another full length set in 1898 during the Alaskan (Klondike) Gold Rush.

How much character and plot detailing do you plan out before you begin writing a novel, or are you a “pantser” (fly by the seat of your pants) ?

I'm a recovering "Pantser". With my WIP I know all my character's background from childhood to adulthood, and I've done a

rough time-line of events for the story to keep me on track.

How and when do you write? Do you keep yourself on a schedule or do you work while the muse is with you?

If I don't keep myself on a submission rotation with my critique partners, then my writing resembles binge/purge. I do work better

under pressure, but I'm trying to develop good habits.

If you could give one piece of advice to writers trying to get published, what would that advice be?

Study the craft!

Where can we read more about you and your work? (websites, blogs, facebook, twitter, fan email address, etc)

WEBSITE: www.jenniferjakes.com

BLOG: www.authorjenniferjakes.blogspot.com

TWITTER: @erotichistory

EMAIL:authorjenniferjakes@hotmail.com



EXCERPT from Rafe's Redemption

Maggie wanted freedom, not a lover…

Oh, Lord. He was going to kiss her. She shouldn’t want this. She was confused enough.
Respectable women didn’t kiss men they barely knew, certainly not men who made them have wild,
exotic dreams.

It was crazy. He was making her want crazy things. Making her not give a damn about her reputation
or her virginity. Or her long-awaited freedom. All she could think about was that dream, and the way
his sinful mouth had felt. The table was only a step away, and honey was just as sweet as peach juice…

She swallowed hard and looked up into his hooded eyes.

“Maggie,” he groaned. “Don’t be scared. I’d never hurt you.”

Her mouth parted to object, but firm lips covered hers, hungry, demanding. She gasped, shocked at his
hunger, but even more at the illicit response coursing through her. An aching heat unfurled low in her
stomach, pulsed between her legs. Oh, yes. It started just like in the dream.

He deepened the kiss, coaxed her lips with his warm tongue. Long, languid strokes teased the inside of
her mouth, encouraging, tempting before he pulled back to nibble the corners of her lips.

Oh, God. Is this what all kisses felt like? Hot, lethargic? Melting her like molasses over warm bread?

“Kiss me, Maggie,” he breathed.



1 comment:

Savanna Kougar said...

Hi Jennifer welcome, enjoyed your excerpt. Wishing you success.