Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sultry Sunday- Are We Who We Write?


When you look at this picture, what do you see?


If I didn't know this person I would say she is a sweet person with a personable smile. She seems shy to some extent. Maybe a mom...maybe a wife...someone's daughter...maybe works in an office.

In reality, yes, she is a mom, a wife, a daughter and...an erotic romance writer.

But just because I write this genre doesn't mean I always live it.

I know the old clique "we are what we eat" holds true...but are we who we write?

Is every character based on yourself or someone you know? Do have sex day in and day out like the characters in your books? Are you a curvaceous woman with ample breasts? Do you dress provocatively all the time? Is sex always on your mind? (OK- I'll give you this one).

Most of my characters are based on myself- well, at least my physical attributes and some added fantasy ideas of how I would like to appear. Sexier. More voluptuous. More adventurous. Very independent.

How much of yourself should you put into a character? Or should you even put the likeness of yourself in print?
When it comes to physical attributes I am completely comfortable with it...but when it comes to behind the doors- not so much. I do NOT want to expose my personal sex life to the world...or at least my fans. That is no one's business but my own.

Do I have sex on a whim? Possibly. Do I want sex 24/7? Ummm, sometimes. Do I fantasize about sex? Well, yes, who doesn't.

In my erotic novellas I write about wanton women and their sex lives...THEIR sex lives, not mine. Maybe I live vicariously through these women...maybe not.

Do you think readers of your work think that just because you're an erotic or romance author that you live like your characters?

4 comments:

Vivien Jackson said...

My characters are never me. I am way too boring to write a story about. But sometimes, once in a while, they do some things that I've done. :)

Savanna Kougar said...

I'll assume some of my readers do think I've done what my heroines do in my novels... however, mostly, I WISH!!!

An Open Book said...

I admit I do put some things that I have done into my novels...it's up to the readers to determine which are me and which are my imagination working OT

Gem Sivad said...

I'm with Vivien. I'm not the kick-ass heroine who takes no prisoners and uses seduction to get what she wants (well maybe sometimes, according to hubs) but I suspect there's a part of me in everyone of my ladies.

gem