Monday, August 2, 2010

Keta Diablo continued!!!!

April: We're back this week with a continuing interview with Keta Diablo. Look next week for Jeanne St. Jame's and my fantabulous interview with her!!!!

Now, back to where we were: If you could be any heroine from one of your books, who would you be?


KD: Sophia from Land of Falling Stars. I know, I know, there were readers who wanted to slap her up alongside the head for being such a spoiled brat in some scenes. But when I created Sophia, I really tried to place myself in her bloomers. I’m astounded by what people went through during the Civil War; and I’m not talking about just the soldiers. Every facet of humanity was affected by this dreadful war; entire lives were altered forever. Some accepted and carried on, others were never the same. Imagine Sophia, a pampered, sheltered young woman of the South until the war came, and then she’s pitched into a world of starvation, disease, solitude, and immense anger. I wonder how we would react under similar circumstances. I think some readers just didn’t understand what Sophia went through and overcame by the end of the book.

More about Land of Falling Stars here: http://tinyurl.com/bvoqbt

A:1. What qualities are a must when creating your hero?

KD: Humor, the ability to laugh at himself no matter how dire the situation. Loyalty to those he loves, especially his woman (or man as the case may be). Strength of character, and insight to make the right decision most of the time by using an internal moral code. Internal moral codes are important to me. I don’t much care for wishy-washy or for those who go along with the crowd because it’s popular at the time. I think we all possess an internal code, hopefully a healthy one. Possessing it and living by it are two entirely different things. I respect heroes who forge their own paths in life and try to do the right thing. Try is the key word here.

A: Do book covers matter, would you go back and change any of yours if you could?

KD: What a great question! I think they matter immensely; at least they do to me when I’m selecting a book. In that vein, I think Ravenous Romance has some of the loveliest covers I’ve ever seen in the stores and on the Internet. I don’t say that because of partiality, because I write for several publishers. I just think their covers are vivid, engaging, and seem to capture the essence of the stories in most cases.

A: What is the hardest part for you about creating/continuing on with a series?

KD: Fresh ideas. I’ve written three novellas in my Crossroad series (male/male/contemporary) and they’ve done very well because they touch on a bit of the paranormal, mystery and suspense. Phaze has asked me to write three more in the series, so now I’m plotting and hoping I can still do the characters, Frank and Rand, justice. You want to make sure that by the time you get to that sixth novella, the readers aren’t saying, “You know, I’m getting kind of tired of reading about Frank and Rand.”

More about the Crossroad series here: http://tinyurl.com/d2karl

A: Have you written a book you love that you have not been able to get published?

KD: I’m very honored to say I have not. I also write historical/paranormal under another name, so between the two, I’m busier some days than I’d like to be.

A: Did you ever draw your characters from the personalities in your life?

Another good question. I don’t draw every trait of my characters from people I know or have known, but I think all writers bring a little to the page of something they’ve seen or heard along the journey of life. We’re all a composite of events/incidents that have occurred in our lives and to say that doesn’t influence what we think or write would be stretching it.

A: Have you ever encountered someone who said, “You write what!!! “?

KD: Not to my face, but who knows what they say once they find out I write male/male on occasion or erotic romance. It’s like with me and the remote control – if I don’t like what’s playing I switch the channel. I would hope they do that with the genres they don’t care for, pass them by.

A: What is the most interesting thing you’ve done in the name of research?

KD: Corroborate my research on The Sin Eater’s Prince with a writer who’s lived in South Wales her entire life. Obviously, I’m not from Wales and wanted to make sure I had the mysticism and lore correct. She was a blessing, and strangely, didn’t have to look up a thing. She knew all about the magick and legend that encompasses Wales.

A: What was your favorite scene to write ever?

KD: The scene in Decadent Deceptions when Olivia discovers (in a hotel room) who Morgan really is.

A: If you could ask readers any one question, what would it be?

KD: The same thing all authors want to know. What moves you in a book; what tugs at your heartstrings or draws some type of emotion from you? Again, good or bad, because bad emotion doesn’t always mean a bad book. The thing I like about readers is they’ll usually tell you straight up what you overlooked, what they didn’t like, etc. They’re very candid that way (Keta laughs). And thank goodness for it, or we’d never know the real truth.

You can find Keta on the net at the addresses below. Don’t forget to sign up for her newsletter. She gives THREE books away every month

Author Home: http://ketadiablo.blogspot.com/

Keta’s Haunt: http://www.ketadiablo.com/

Keta’s Keep: http://ketaskeep.blogspot.com/

Gay Fiction Blog: http://thestuffofmythandmen.blogspot.com/

Keta on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ketadiablo


Thanks Keta ... fantastic answers. Anyone have a burning question for Keta??? Let me know and I'll find out for you.

1 comment:

Savanna Kougar said...

Keta, your insights are always spot on and deep. Thanks for sharing.

On a personal note: that's one reason I get weird over those who get after Scarlett in GONE WITH THE WIND... come on! folks... like you said, to paraphrase ~ live in her gowns, then come through the Civil War as wall and whole as she did. Honestly, most individuals couldn't do it.