Friday, April 9, 2010

Sinful Saturday: Erotic Jewelry

 (Their not pierced, but their sexy enough for me not to care so much. Good, no?)

Erotic jewelry is not really a staple in erotic romance or erotica. I've been trying to figure out why that is, and the only thing I could come up with was jewelry is ultimately a distraction from the other naughty bits on display. Despite the wide history that body piercing has in increasing sexual arousal, sometimes the vision of a pierced bit acting as the aphrodisiac, it's still a wonder to me that the actual act or inclusion of piercings is still somewhat taboo in a mainstream erotic world. Which brings me to the intriguing history of erotic jewelry in the all the naughty places! Some of my favorite things to ogle and a definite instant turn-on!

Nipple Piercing: A piercing that can lead to a tingling taunt in the bedroom, these were once used a symbol in the Roman Army to show rank and reinforcing their masculinity. It also shifted to a right of passage for British and American sailors who had conquered a vast amount of longitude and latitude. They briefly caught a resurgence of popularity with women the 1890's but it died out until after World War 2.


Navel Piercing: A tantalizing piercing that can both illicit a shiver of response or connect to a more lower piercing in more intimate places, navel piercings weren't used by native tribes nor does it have a long history. It was simply made into a pop culture phenomenon from music videos and fashion icons in the nineties increasing in popularity because of the ease in hiding it under clothing. 



Tongue Piercing: Though used as an alluring accessory in the bedroom with the various vibrating rings that are out on the market, a pierced tongue used to mean a tribute to the gods in Aztec culture. It also symbolized a way to suck evil magic out of someone's body.



Personally, I just think piercings are a fun and alluring way to accessorize. For the most part they are easily taken care of, fun to manipulate (with clean hands), and easy to remove leaving barely a scar. Though not appropriate for most professional atmospheres, most workplaces are embracing the freedom of piercings as they evolve from a simple nose stud to a line down the spine several inches long. But hey, it's all about what gets your rocks off right?

For me piercings have always terrified me, which is why when I get them the adrenaline rush is like no other. It's total turn on for me putting my flesh in someone's hands and hoping it turns out okay. Now, granted, I do a painstaking amount of research before I get pierced, but it is still one the sexiest things to me. I look for those same traits in those I'm attracted to, seeking out lean, tattooed, tall men with piercings and tats knowing that they've gone through the pain I went through--and liked it.

In the coming months I think I'm going to make an effort to put the art of body jewelry back into erotica. I'll let you know how it goes, cool?

5 comments:

Christa Paige said...

Oh this is a great post. I worried myself silly when I wrote a feminine piercing, down there, on my heroine Cassidy in Irish Kiss. I kept thinking where did that notion come from and were readers going to hate it.

But, I did my research, found out all about how a piercing could add to the pleasure and then sat down to write it. I'm sure it has shocked some readers for the curved, silver ring to be found there. It totally surprised the hero, Gavin but then he figured out it also made him crazy hot for more.

I'm still not sure why I had the piercing but it felt like it belonged on Cassidy.

I can't wait to see what you come up with regarding the art of body piercings. Please, let me know.
Christa

Jools said...

Thanks for this, a really interesting post about the history of the piercings... I have read a couple of books with them, but you are right, there are not many.

Thanks!

Jeanne St. James said...

I think some jewelry and piercings can be soooo sexy.

Savanna Kougar said...

Fascinating history. I've always wanted a navel piercing because I think it's incredibly sexy... the appearance and the feel of it.

I've used erotic jewelry in some of my novels, Murder by Hair Spray, for example... however, not as piercings.

Chloe Waits said...

Great post Elise! The Prince Albert piercing for men is very, uh, interesting too...;)