Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Series... gotta love 'em!

I absolutely love both writing and reading series. As a reader, I love getting to visit characters again. It's fun to see them live out their happily ever after, even if its only in a few scenes. If a book is powerful enough, I feel like the characters I read have become friends. Who doesn't like to check in with their friends every now and again, right? That's how I feel about series anyway.

As an author... well I guess my reasoning is the same. I love writing little bits and pieces of their lives after the I Love You, and they lived happily ever after :) There's something about it, about writing them that little extra story, about seeing them interact with the characters again that I just can't seem to get enough of. Both of my current releases, Satisfy Me and Bliss are both part of the Malone Brothers series and my upcoming release, Wild, is part of a new series I started.

I think I enjoy it more and more each time.

Do you like reading or writing a series? What are some of your favorite series you've read?

5 comments:

Jeanne St. James said...

I think my favorite series is the Anita Blake series. Love them!

Mary Quast said...

I love writing series. My fav series author is Sherrylin Kenyon.

Christa Paige said...

I am such a sucker for seeing characters again in a new release. Though, I tend to be really picky about series that have the same hero/heroine in them all the time like JD Robb''s In Death. I don't know why I prefer fresh new faces in each new book rather than following the same h/h through many different adventures.

Some favorites of mine have been Julia Quinn's Bridgertons, always have to smile when one of the couples shows up in the present story, it is, as you said, like seeing an old friend once again. I love Lara Adrian's Midnight Breeds and in the last installment when Tegan shows up all First Gen, fanged and dominant I swear I made a little "yippeeee" sound.
It sometimes disappoints too when you want to see a glimpse of someone and they never get air time due to the couple's story in the book taking up all the page space. I felt that way with some JR Ward BDB novels, like gimmeeee a glimpse of Butch pretty please.
I write series. The community of vampires in my Blood-Vine series is a tight knit one and leaving out the interactions between the males would seem weird. Same with my cop series, there really is a brotherhood of sorts between police officers, they tend to hang out together outside of work and it is a realistic thing to keep interactions with them. I know I can't pepper the entire new book with everyone I have ever written, but a few scenes with them shooting the shit and razzing each other always makes me grin.

Christa

Madison Scott said...

I LOVE the Midnight Breeds too, Christa. I'm a little more picky with the same couple in all the books too, but if you haven't read the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost you should. It's my favorite series. Love me some, Bones. LOL.

I haven't read Anita Blake, Jeanne but I love the Dark Hunters, Mary.

Savanna Kougar said...

I prefer series with the same couple like JD Robb's In Death, or like the old TV series, Hart to Hart. And, that's the way I write series, living my couple's adventurous and passionate life as a continuum of Happily Ever After, to me that's really a HEA.

However, I think it would be ultra cool, if another author wanted to write a novel about one of my secondary characters, as part of an expanded series in that world.