Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Four Writing Related Apps to Help Beat Writer's Block

1) Rory's Story Cubes

At a $1.99 for the base app ($0.99 per genre add-on), this is an adorable and easy to use storytelling app. Simply shake your phone to mix up the dice and create a story using the prompts. There is a physical version of the Story Cubes, but I have a feeling I'd lose half of the pieces before they got put to good use. I really enjoy mixing and matching the version genres to get my creative juices going. 



For $2.99 you get a massive database of characters. This app will randomly generate anything and everything you want to know about your character. Names, habits, looks, background, etc. I like to use it to fill in missing pieces of my characters personality. So many times I am dead set on an eye color or hair style but I don't bother to think about the rest of their appearance. This app solves this problem. 



$2.99 will get you lists of things you never thought you'd need. Names, places, traits, emotions, etc. I like to pop the app open and scroll through random lists until something jumps out at me. I like having a lot of options and this app has all of them. It has a multitude of uses. I'd consider this my favorite writing/reference related app. 



Spending $2.81 may help you plot faster. This nifty app will plot a story for you and all you have to do is pick a genre. I love that each genre is unique and well thought-out by the developers. It is clear that they took some time to research each genre offered in the app. The generator is very vague with its plot points, but it has saved my butt a few times. I feel like this app is best used to write short stories and novellas. 

1 comment:

Savanna Kougar said...

Interesting info. I'm way behind when it comes to apps of any kind.