Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Send Me an Angel on sale


In Send Me an Angel, Angie Carpenter is hired by Alan Kneis's bandmates to keep him on the wagon for the tour. It's a skeevy job, but she knows how much Alan wants to stay sober and she wants to help him. She also knows if he finds out she's been hired to be his girlfriend, he's going to lose it and she's going to lose him. On sale now for 99¢. Book one in the series (Victim Of Love) is free.


Angie waited at the edge of the stage. She looked horrible and the thought depressed her. Two black eyes and a huge bandage over her nose. And she’d had to spend five hours in the Emergency room to get it. Then she’d had to go by the hotel and change because her dress was covered in blood. Charles was very nice about it, but she hadn’t gotten back to the venue until after the band went on. Alan had spotted her within a few seconds after she showed up leading her to believe he’d been watching for her. He looked sober at least. They finished the encore and went to take their bows.
Alan rushed off, reaching for her and then hesitated. Angie wrapped her arms around his sweaty neck. All she’d been able to think about at the hospital was him trying to play without her. He could panic and refuse to go on or take a drink for courage, which would lead to another and another or play so badly that he’d be demoralized.
“You did it!” she said. “You went out and played without me and without alcohol or drugs.”
“How did it go at the hospital?”
“It’s fine.” The other guys crowded around them, following them to the dressing room and listening in.
“Is it broken?” He touched her cheek next to the bandage.
“Yes, but the doctor thinks it will heal straight.”
“Did you get any medication?”
“Just an anti-inflammatory.”
“Don’t you need pain pills?”
“No. I’ll be fine with Ibuprofen.” The doctor hadn’t been happy when she refused pain meds.
“Angie.”
“I’ll be fine.”
“Are you sure?” Trent asked. “He hit you in the face.”
“I know. It’ll be fine. I don’t like to take any more medication than I need to anyway.” Her pain has subsided enough that her eyes had
stopped
watering.
“Come on, let’s go home.” He tangled his fingers through hers.
“You go shower first and we’ll go.” The other guys headed to the showers, but Trent was hanging back. He must want to talk to her about something.
“I’m sorry I hit you. It was an accident.”
“I know. Just as long as you don’t break up with me because I’m ugly.” She swallowed. That worry resurfaced, tightening her chest. “I am pretty scary looking right now.”
“You’re beautiful.” He kissed her cheek. “Quick shower and we’ll go back to the hotel.”
Angie watched him until he turned the corner into the showers.
“Angie,” Trent said.
She turned to him, folding her arms. “It was an accident.”
“I know. I saw the whole thing.” Trent looked queasy. “Are you okay?”
“It’s broken and I’m going to have black eyes for a couple of weeks. It’s a good thing I’m not doing any casting calls soon.” Angie touched the bandage. The damn thing felt like she was wearing a ski mask and what it didn’t cover was blooming into spectacular color.
“It’ll heal straight?”
“The doctor said it should. If not, plastic surgery can fix it.”
“That’s good. A broken nose could be a career ender for you. We’ll foot the bill if that’s what you need. Just send everything to our management office. Helen will take care of it.” Trent shifted, looking like he’d accidentally murdered a puppy. She’d expected him to head for the showers, too, but he wasn’t. What more did he want? “I didn’t think he’d ever get violent with you or I wouldn’t have put you in the position.”
“He didn’t do it on purpose.”
“But he still got violent.”
Angie looked at the floor. Changing the angle of her head made her face throb. Alan had been a bundle of barely controlled violence since the tour started. “It was just because of the drugs.”
“I’m not blaming it on you. Our guys fell down letting those girls in here.” He put his hand on her shoulder. “Look, I know you never signed the addendum to the contract, but I’m willing to honor it.”
Angie’s blood pressure shot up making her face throb more. “No, I don’t want it. I mean, I’m not leaving.” Her eyes watered from the pain. The room turned liquid and murky. She thought she saw a shadow moving behind Trent.
“What addendum?”
Trent spun around.
“What contract?” Alan’s gaze flickered between Angie and Trent. “An employment contract?”

99¢ for a very short time
Send Me an Angel

No comments: