Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Five Things to Love about Male Friends

I was pressed for a list recently by a guy friend who wanted to know what his best attributes were. He was filling out a "get to know you" form for a group, and couldn't think of anything to write, so he called me. Under some conditions, that might have put a person on the spot -- fortunately, this friend was one I knew well and loved dearly. I had no trouble naming several.

That made me stop and think. Were the things I thought were wonderful about him true of other friends? What about guys in general? Were these different from things I liked about my female friends? For me, it fit most of my friends. Did I tell you I was lucky? Yeah, I am! *grins*

Here's my list, with enough changed to protect the guilty. ;)
  1. He's dependable. If he commits to do something, you can count on him to follow through and not change his mind at the last minute.
  2. He's a man of his word. When he says he'll stop by and bring you something on his way to work, you can count on having it.
  3. He's kind. He will tell you what he thinks and be honest, but he is not cruel in speaking his mind.
  4. He is fun to be around. He laughs easily, offers to share what he has, and can be counted on to make a gathering enjoyable.
  5. He looks out for others. When there's a storm, he calls people he knows in that area and checks on them. He'll go out of his way to help a friend in need.
Once I made the list, he looked like a paragon of virtue. ^_^ I thought, gee, who wouldn't want to be friends with this guy? Btw -- that's not his picture. I just happened to like the pic. And being a friendly sort myself, I decided to share with you. (courtesy of photoexpress.com) I'd hang out with this guy just for the view. But for me to like him, he'd have to be a whole lot like my friend.

So, what about you? Are these attributes you look for in a friend? *waves* Um...hello? FYI -- I'm referring to the list this time, not the pic. Just sayin'.

5 comments:

Savanna Kougar said...

Kayelle, yeah, that view is great. But, a man of his word is far more impressive... especially these days.

Kayelle Allen said...

That is so true! I couldn't agree more.

KC Burn said...

Kayelle - these are very close to attributes I look for too, although I need to give most of my friends a more flexible definition of dependable... some of them can be flaky, but if their intentions are good, that's enough for me!

Mary Quast said...

A friend who is fun to be around can help you relax in any situation and enjoy life every day.

Kayelle Allen said...

Good point, KC. There are times when the most dependable person just can't do what they'd hoped to do. Life happens. A good friend overlooks that, right? :)

Mary, you got that right. There are times when I need a friend who'll be mad when I am and sad when I am ... but I sure do love a friend who can share laughter!