Saturday, April 24, 2010

Sinful Saturday: Banned Books

Some of the most sinful items across the world are what I wheel and deal in everyday: books. Throughout history there has always been a prejudice towards books that share knowledge either disapproved of by the church or kept away for the greater good of the people. Most of these banned books are some of my favorites. Here are just a few of my favorites from the erotic genre:
There are a variety of reasons for book banning, but one of the most common reasons seems to be because it is obscene or "offensive to morality or decency; indecent; depraved: obscene language",
"causing uncontrolled sexual desire","abominable; disgusting; repulsive". Given that reaction do you think books should be banned like this or treated as free speech? Do you agree with the banning?

5 comments:

Jeanne St. James said...

Simply put: No. Books should not be band. Every adult has a choice whether to pick that book up and read it or not. Just like movies and TV.

Chloe Waits said...

I was just studying Lolita at school recently. I don't think books should be banned either. People can decide if they wish to read or not...

Elise Hepner said...

I very much agree with both of you.

Savanna Kougar said...

NEVER! would I agree that a book should be banned. No matter the content. Now, I would agree that 'fair warning' to the reader be given, so that she/he can decide if it's a book they want to read.

Unknown said...

Again, I agree with all the comments. Books usually have enough information printed about them that will let a potential reader know what they are in for before purchase. The last thing we need is someone doing our thinking for us.